Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Music Picks from the mid-90s

I grew up in the 90s. Yep, that's right...the era of boybands, tummy-revealing clothes and all that weirdness going on - Asian Financial Crisis and what not.

As a kid, I don't remember actively seeking out music to listen to. But when I did, a few of them really stood out. Was it because of the catchy tunes or because it was overplayed, I don't know. Laugh if you want, but these songs which I once considered annoying are now one of my favorites. LOL

(A study recently revealed that pre-teens/teenaged minds are "tuned" to seek out the latest hit song. So if you want to know if a song will be a hit or not, let a teen listen to it and if they like it, it's a hit alright. One of the more interesting studies I came across lately. If you have the source please let me know!)


I'd choose so much more songs to include, but these songs from the mid-90s stand out most in my memory.


Spice Girls - Wannabe

EVERYBODY loved the Spice Girls. Even if you didn't know which girl was which (Spicy, Scary, whatever), you still had to love them. Girls Generation don't come close to these legends, but I think Destiny's Child was bigger.



Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way

Confession: I really don't know how to tell them and n*Sync apart. Really.




n*Sync - Tearin' Up My Heart

Okay, I think I can tell them apart now. This one has JT, and went on to be more cooler.




Britney Spears - Crazy

I think there was some crazy competition between Britney and Christina in the 90s. Did you see Britney's tribute at MTV VMA 2011? The tirade of Britney clones!




TLC - Waterfalls

I haven't met anyone who doesn't like this song. This and No Scrubs. What are scrubs anyway?




What are your picks from the mid 90s?

3 comments:

Noisy Canvas said...

I confess, I've never even consciously watched or paid attention to the music videos before until today. =D But how the songs make me miss the good old days.

bloody awful poetry said...

I am very the pro at telling boy bands apart, so come to me next time you desperately need to distinguish between the gelled-up frosted tipped baggy-jeans wearing clones. Also I am much more partial to Backstreet Boys, because they were all collectively cooler than n'Sync, who only had Timberlake to redeem them.


OMG that TLC song! Love love love love. I still can't find out what scrub is - a type of drug maybe? I assume it's not about how they don't want to be surgeons. Oh and that other song, "Unpretty", is a total fave.


I still love Britney la okay. However crazy she gets, there's always a part of me rooting for her to make good.

Let's see...I was also into Michael Learns to Rock, Mariah, Whitney. Was Destiny's Child around in the 90s yet? I liked them as well.

Also this study sounds super interesting! Off to hunt for it.

Anonymous said...

I used to like Dido quite a bit. And my favourite song from the 90s would have to be "Smooth" by Santana feat. Rob Thomas. I have memories of listening to it on my way home from primary school. Just so smooth, man.