Friday, December 26, 2008

The Spirit movie review


Image was Googled



From the director of 300 and Sin City comes The Spirit.


Honestly, I have no idea why I redeemed the tickets for the early screening. Maybe the opportunity of a free movie was too good to be passed up? Or maybe it was because someone was a fan of Frank Miller's works. Either way, I thank God we managed to get the tickets early. The line was superbly long.

The Malaysian Today screening (thank you Jian Quin for introducing this method to me!) for The Spirit was at 1 Utama, held a few days before the official premiere.

According to imdb.com, The Spirit is:

Rookie cop Denny Colt returns from the beyond as The Spirit, a hero whose mission is to fight against the bad forces in Central City.


The Spirit is a guy flick. It has the superhero with an ego, the bad guy, the fight, the bad guy's hot chick sidekick, more hot chicks and an inevitable loss, etc.

I like this movie because it was very expressive in terms of storytelling-the colors primarily used were black, white and grey (yes it was sombre) but sometimes other colors were highlighted at times-neon blue, striking red, even sepia tones-according to the plot. Very interesting.

The characters were alright. Samuel L. Jackson stars as a "faceless" villain, the Octopus, while Scarlett Johansson takes on the role of his sidekick, Silken Floss.
That girl has lovely earrings throughout the movie. I like the Japanese fans. Shannon, if you can get anything like that I'd be the first to place my order!

The femme fatales present in this film also makes it an entertaining watch. Eva Mendes (Hitch, Stuck on You) is the lead actress as Sand Seref (her name reminds me of Sans Serif-the font. haha) alongside Johansson, as mentioned.

There are lots of cold reviews about this movie on imdb already. Apparently, according to the person I watched it with, Miller was cloning Sin City through this movie. If you've seen Sin City, it's almost like the guide for The Spirit. The colors, the storytelling are all alike-but I don't know lah, cos I've never seen Sin City.

No idea why Miller tried to copy SC-there is a Sin City 2 in production, not to mention the Untitled 300 Sequel (that's really the official title for now! lol)
But please la, don't go around comparing The Dark Knight to The Spirit. Both are totally different.

Overall, this is a rather dark movie-slightly edgy. They've put in some pretty strong language here, which is not appealing personally. No wonder it's rated 18. I give it a 2.4/5

No comments: