Monday, September 29, 2008

Mamma Mia (!)


Can you imagine James Bond and the editor from The Devil Wears Prada dueting in a love song?


Well, imagine no more! The powers that be has heard your requests and are granting it in the form of a musical inspired by hit songs from Abba, Mamma Mia!



(LOVE the dress! xD)

Okay, the deal is, this chick from Mean Girls (Amanda Seyfried) is getting married to the Sky. Some trivia: Rachel McAdams (from Mean Girls too! and the up-and-coming House Bunny), Emmy Rossum, Amanda Bynes and Mandy Moore were all considered for the plum role of Sophie.

Anyhoo, Sophie wants to know who her dad is before her wedding, because her mother Donna was flinging with three men at one time at one summer. So she invites them and mayhem follows, naturally.

Cue Bollywood song-and-dance routine on a small island off Greece.

Pierce Brosnan cannot sing! He's not tone deaf, but he sounds so nasally strange that it was like listening to music through a pipe. Meryl Streep, on the other hand, was like a musical
firecracker throughout the movie. Speaking of which, it seems like the characters would break into song every three minutes or so.

One thing though-when you watch this movie, most of the audience will be over 30. A few teenagers, but that's it, really. Although I didn't grow up in the 80s, I could recognize some of the songs they sang in this movie-Dancing Queen, Winner Takes It All, I Have a Dream and of course, Mamma Mia.

Hrmmm. When I was younger, I thought the Spice Girls sang Mamma Mia. xD

I love love love the place that they filmed it. I have a strange feeling it's Santorini. Obviously on one of the Greek islands. Anyway, the scenery is marvellous, and the colors are so sunshiney bright and happy you won't fall asleep in the duration of this movie! Sounds like Wee Han on sugar.

Storyline-wise, it's the tried and tested formula with a happy ending. I still find the gay Colin Firth hard to understand, though-it's like every movie in 2008 has to have a gay character.

I can't seem to find anything to gripe about the movie-except the little boy next to me in the theater who released gas every 10 minutes, and his mum who contributed to the smell of greasy food in the theater. Oh, and that parasitic waste who obviously cannot understand English kicking at the back of my seat, evidently wanting to get his groove on.


This musical/movie gets a 4.5/5 from me.


Oh, and guess what? KL will be playing host to the real deal in December! The musical from West End will be here till the new year. Read The Star newspaper for more info. Yes, I am plotting to get free tickets, God willing.


-all pictures googled.



Oh, and this cracked us up:


My little sister, putting lip stick for my mum: "Do you want Angelina Jolie, or the Dark Knight?"

No comments: