Wednesday, August 13, 2008

windy wednesday

Why I Do Not Need To/Should Not Go for National Service siri 6/2009

1. I am the only person in my form who sang Negaraku every Monday and the school song everday. I even sing Keranamu Malaysia and Tanah Pusaka during Bulan Kemerdekaan. The lyrics of Tanggal 31 is etched in my head. I pray for Malaysia every week. I love nasi lemak, and I adore Italiannies. I look forward to Yasmin Ahmad's movies. How much more patriotic a teenager can you get?

2. I am under a scholarship bond that states that I cannot, under any circumstances, be distracted from my pursuit of education. Distraction here means having boyfriends, National Service and marriage.

3. My course is four years long. Upon graduation, I plan to get married and get pregnant, whichever comes first (hopefully with the same guy). Then I will build a family and a career. A career woman will not have time for NS.

4. I will only be free after my late thirties, when my career is stable and when my kids are all grown up. By then, my eldest child would be old enough to be selected for NS. Wouldn't it be embarassing and excruciating for him/her to spend three months with his/her mum in the jungle with other teenagers? I am seriously uncool.

5. I can't wash my clothes for nuts. If I get dragged to NS, I will have to have my own personal room because my clothes will stink like a garbage dump. Which means the Government has to spend more money to build me a separate room, and as a taxpayer I don't think that's a good thing...

6. Don't mind the tan, but ever heard of skin cancer? Plus I tend to forget to bring along sunscreen wherever I go...

7. I am 100% Malaysian, and I know the legends that make up her love for fashion. Lewre, Jimmy Choo, Zang Toi, Ling, Bernard Chandran, Gillian Hung, Farah Khan...do you want me to go on?

8. I scored an A1 for Sejarah in SPM.

9. I taught my friends Sejarah during Form Five when they couldn't understand it, and helped them to PASS Sejarah.

10. My favourite subject in school was Sejarah!

11. Saya tak pernah memonteng walau satu pun kelas tambahan Bahasa Malaysia. Karangan-karangan yang ditulis dalam jangka masa dua tahun di sekolah menengah telah pun mencecah "word count" yang sangat besar.


On the bright side...
1. Being away from it all for three months!


2. No technology! No internet connection! No handphone reception! No television!

3. Three months, free of stress, problematic people and house chores! Goodbye sweeping the floor!

4. No blogging for three months!

5. NS comes with a free three month detoxification plan! read: no fast food, no fizzy drinks!

6. More time and stillness to read God's word!

7. An opportunity to make friends!

8. An opportunity to be a pain in the neck to strangers for three months! (this I like)

9. No cute guys to ogle at for three months! How cool is that?!


Yes, I will stop being a whiny teenager. It's just that I don't see NS in my future: I can't even get a driver's license, and you're telling me to get lost for three months in the jungle so that I can gain weight?

No comments: