Thursday, June 21, 2007

That's the song I hear

Okay. I have lots of things to do but am postponing them. Here are two things I'm blogging about today:
The Golden Days
I know Golden citizens are senior citizens, but as Shannon puts it, our childhood should have been our Golden years. U-Mae's post on 20th June was seriously seriously a wake-up call. Well, it was more of a back to the future kind of call.

Childhood is but a sweet memory as we are pushed into a world of different perspectives. Corruption, scholarship, jobs, marriage-will we ever find a time to rekindle old memories and make new ones? I guess we shouldn't be looking backward but looking forward-imagine, in another year, Iona will be allowed to get married and have kids! Legally! And thus a new story begins....*gosh that sounds emo/poetic*

LOVE, LOVE ME-Mika
This was the day all of us at the choir have been waiting for. It was an okay daylah. The contestants included Jalan Kebun, MGS, Convent, Bukit Kemuning and Dato Hamzah. Tahun lepas macam ada lapan ke sembilan sekolah yang take part. Tahun ni semua orang takut kat Convent dan MGS. LOL

The MGS team. I think they recycle their costumes. Ione wore the same one when SHE was in the choir. They sang a Whitney Houston song. It was great when they harmonized. They got second place. The conductor was none other than U-Mae. I remember her saying she screwed up when she auditioned for the conductor...


Convent sang You Raise Me Up and Gemilang. Eventhough they were short on tenors and basses, they brought it out man. I tell you, the singers were passionate and sang softly when they had to. As for the conductor (Jian Quin) she was telling a story to the singers with her hands-the epitome of a conductor. She won best conductor also. I do notice a similarity between the Convent school choir and the African Children's Choir. If you know it, don't say it.
My dad says they won because of their song choice. It is partly correct as Malaysia is a country that theoratically should raise up its citizens. LOL


We sang I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing and Tanah Pusaka. I think we did fantastic. Our choir team had NO professionals to train us 24/7 and the piano pieces were all composed by Cherylyn (http://cherylynthejazzgurl.blogspot.com). Cherylyn is the head of the choir. It is not surprising that she was the one who did all of the arrangements and harmonizing of the english and bahasa songs as she loves music. You should see her music book collection! Anyways, Cherylyn, you did a great job. And I say you HAVE to come back for Form Six next year. HAHAHAHA JK.

pink=YX yellow=Cher
Yin Xian was the conductor. She really made eye-contact with the singers as I suggested her to. Good job!
The only professionals we had were Kak Deli (one of Malaysia's national choir member) and Kak Rai (last year's conductor). Both only came in four times in six months to help us out. Even Afiq wasn't present all the time!
And to all of the choir members who might or might never be reading this, you guys rock. And remember, "Everybody's got to love today, love today, LOVE TODAY!"


We may have gotten third place, but we are the champions~Quote unquote from a fighter

XOXO

2 comments:

Evelynn Koo said...

hey... I came upon your blog while surfing...and I couldn't resist leaving a comment... I hope you won't mind..

I'm a member of convent choir... and I want to thank you for saying such nice things about us... it really means a lot to us... you see, some people know how it feels to be part of choir... and some just doesn't... after reading your blog briefly... I think you do... Choir is like a family... people who love music singing together...^_^... my life will never be complete without choir.. but honestly? I felt that that day, we didn't really perform that well.. but thanks a lot...

you guys rock too... especially your friend, Cherylyn who did all the music arrangements...

one more thing, can you tell me what's the meaning of this --> "I do notice a similarity between the Convent school choir and the African Children's Choir. If you know it, don't say it." I have no clue...LOL...sorry for the trouble...

aisha said...

Hey, thanks for the comment. Unfortunately, due to certain reasons I can't explain that weird similarity. It's not a mean joke, but it's more of a nudge nudge wink wink thing. Thanks again!